Some useful free online resources for teaching – and learning – European data protection law.
Data protection in general
- The ‘HELP in the 28’ course on ‘Data Protection and Privacy Rights‘ (updated in 2017), accessible here.
- The Handbook on European data protection law (2018 edition), published by the EU Fundamental Rights Agency: download the pdf, or more information here.
Data protection for children
- The European Handbook for Teaching Privacy and Data Protection at Schools, available in English (pdf), Polish (pdf), Hungarian (pdf), and Slovenian (pdf).
Data protection for the judiciary
- INtroduction of the data protection reFORM to the judicial system (INFORM) project e-learning platform.
Other useful documents
- Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union (see Art. 8).
- Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union (see Art. 16).
- Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (General Data Protection Regulation).
- Directive (EU) 2016/680.
- Regulation (EU) 2018/1725.
- A compendium of Case law of the European Court of Human Rights concerning the protection of personal data, published in June 2018: pdf.
Other useful links
CJEU case law
- Judgment of the Court (Grand Chamber) of 8 April 2014, Digital Rights Ireland Ltd v Minister for Communications, Marine and Natural Resources and Others and Kärntner Landesregierung and Others, Joined Cases C‑293/12 and C‑594/12, ECLI:EU:C:2014:238.
- Judgment of the Court (Grand Chamber), 13 May 2014, Google Spain SL and Google Inc. v Agencia Española de Protección de Datos (AEPD) and Mario Costeja González, Case C‑131/12, ECLI:EU:C:2014:317.
- Judgment of the Court (Grand Chamber) of 6 October 2015, Maximillian Schrems v Data Protection Commissioner, Case C-362/14, ECLI:EU:C:2015:650.
- Judgment the Court (Grand Chamber) of 21 December 2016, Tele2 Sverige AB v Post- och telestyrelsen and Secretary of State for the Home Department v Tom Watson and Others, Joined Cases C-203/15 and C-698/15, ECLI:EU:C:2016:970.