The paper ‘Cross-border Access to E-Evidence: Framing the Evidence‘ (Gloria González Fuster and Sergi Vázquez Maymir) has now been published at the CEPS Paper in Liberty and Security series, and is available to download.
The book The Ethics of Cybersecurity, edited by Cybersecurity Regulation in the European Union: The Digital, the Critical and Fundamental Rights‘ (Gloria González Fuster and Lina Jasmontaite).‘
Now online, the video of the panel “Explicit Data Flows: Applying Global Privacy to Extra Sensitive Data“, which took place at the Computers, Privacy & Data Protection (CPDP) 2020 Conference on Data Protection and Artificial Intelligence on 24th January 2020, in Brussels.
Yes, another year of people singing about the future! And privacy. And surveillance. And some people complaining about this, other people celebrating that… A whole spectrum of ideas and feelings, looking forward to puzzle your information systems. Here goes a personal selection* of some favourite tracks.** Enjoy, relax, and, in case of doubt, say AI.
- Gappy Ranks ‘Artificial Intelligence’ (Various Artists, Black Bird Riddim, Baco Records) [YouTube]
- Netsky ‘Snitch’ (feat. Aloe Blacc) (Republic) [YouTube]
- Momus ‘Facial recognition’ (Akkordion, American Patchwork) [YouTube]
- Kari Faux ‘Leave me alone’ [YouTube]
- Blank Statements ‘Privacy’ (Signs are Rampant, Tough Love) [Bandcamp]
- Wilco ‘Everyone hides’ (Ode to Joy, dBpm Records) [YouTube]
- Lusine ‘Not Alone’ (feat. Jenn Champion) (Retrace, Ghostly International) [YouTube]
- Een Glish ‘Log in‘ (Planned Obsolescence) [YouTube]
- Tempers ‘Capital pains’ (Private Life, Dais Records) [YouTube]
- Pelada ‘Asegura’ (Movimiento Para Cambio, Pan) [Bandcamp]
- Nots ‘Surveillance veil’ (3, Goner) [Audiotree Live@YouTube]
- CONTROL COP ‘Covert contracts’ (Cover Contracts, Get Better) [Bandcamp]
- Kim Gordon ‘Air BnB‘ (No Home Record, Matador) ( [YouTube]
- Ariana Grande ‘NASA’ (Thank U, Next, Republic) [Youtube]
- Nilüfer Yanya ‘In your head’ (Miss Universe, ATO) [YouTube]
- Privacy Issues ‘Privacy issues’ [Bandcamp]
- Teejayx6 ‘Dark web‘ (self-released) [YouTube]
- Czarface ‘Dear computer’ (The Odd Czar Against Us!, Silver Age) [YouTube]
- The Chats ‘Identity theft’ (Bargain Bin) [YouTube]
- Maps ‘Surveil’ (Colours. Reflect. Time. Loss., Mute) [YouTube]
- Bob Mould ‘Lost faith’ (Sunshine Rock, Merge) [YouTube]
- SOL Development ‘Helicopter’ (The SOL of Black Folk, SOL DVLPMNT) [Bandcamp]
- Sleater-Kinney ‘The future is here’ (The Center Won’t Hold, Mom+Pop) [YouTube]
- Post Malone ‘Internet’ (Hollywood’s Bleeding, Republic) [YouTube]
- Holly Herndon ‘Alienation’ (PROTO, 4AD) [YouTube]
- Belles in Monica ‘Y’all under surveillance (G-Sharp Mix)‘ (Y’All in Meltdown EP, New Dawn) [YouTube]
- Umwelt ‘Computer controlled’ (Superior Life Forms, Midnight Shift) [YouTube]
- ACruz Sesper ‘Online stalkers’ (The Cell) [Bandcamp]
- Gauche ‘Surveilled society’ (A People’s History of Gauche, Merge) [Bandcamp]
- Meiko ‘My brain is a computer’ (In Your Dreams, Pop-up) [YouTube]
- Pasha & The Kindred Spirits ‘Face recognition’ (Demo 2019) [Bandcamp]
- Shafiq Husayn ‘New worlds over’ (Loop, Eglo) [Bandcamp]
- Hence Therefore ‘User against pattern’ (SECULAR HELLS, 3BS) [Bandcamp]
- Quelle Chris ‘Mind ya bidness‘ (Guns, Mello Music) [YouTube]
- Señor Glitch ‘Mass surveillance’ [Bandcamp]
- Gideon Irving ‘Woke up looking’ (Glitterbones Bargain, self-released) [YouTube]
- Surveillance Capitalism ‘Uber’ (Surveillance Capitalism) [Bandcamp]
- KALEIDOSCOPE “SIGINT –> E.K.IA.” (AFTER THE FUTURES… LP, D4MT Labs Inc.) [Bandcamp]
- Mabel ‘Don’t call me up’ (High Expectations, Polydor) [YouTube]
- Chief Keef & Zaytoven ‘Spy Kid‘ (Glotoven, RBC) [YouTube]
- Nu Apollo ‘Online Safety [Phase 1/2 DATA PROTECTION’ (Royalty Free Music for the Average Consumer) [Bandcamp]
- NF ‘Leave me alone’ (The Search, Capitol) [YouTube]
- Persephone’s Dream ‘Surveillance’ (Anomalous Propagation, Melodic Revolution) [Bandcamp]
- Space Nerdz ‘Artificial Intelligence’ (In Space) [YouTube]
- Remute ‘The right to be forgotten’ (Technoptimistic) [Bandcamp]
- A Call For Positive Automation ‘Automated labour’ (The Series of Events to Democratise Technologies) [Bandcamp]
- Petra Glynt ‘Surveillance’ (The Discography) [Bandcamp]
- Glitch Black ‘Data breach’ (Age of Machines) [Bandcamp]
- Zoetrope ‘Remember a day when we were not online‘ (All the Hills) [Bandcamp]
- Paolo Tarsi ‘Artificial Intelligence’ (Artificial Intelligence, Mondo Groove)
- Dan Armstrong ‘Artificial Intelligence’ (Artificial Intelligence, Reflection Records) [Bandcamp]
*= There are many more.
**= Ranking is based on a variety of criteria including thematic relevance, originality, and compatibility with subjective taste.
The video of my talk “Data are dead (again). Long life to data!”, at the DATA POWER: global in/securities Conference that took place at Universität Bremen on 12th and 13th September 2019, is now online.
On 20th November 2019 took place the Workshop on Feminist Data Protection in Berlin, organised with the support of the Unabhängiges Landeszentrum für Datenschutz (ULD) Schleswig-Holstein, the International Center for Ethics in the Sciences and Humanities (IZEW) and the Center for Gender and Diversity Research (ZGD) of the University of Tübingen and the Law, Science, Technology and Society (LSTS) Research Group of the Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB). All details can be found here.
The video of my keynote at the Anthropology & Technology Conference 2019, titled ‘The Data Makers: Who are They, and How to Understand Them?‘ is now available, together with the Q&A session in conversation with Kiran Morjaria.
My chapter on ‘El Comité Europeo de Protección de Datos (CEPD): Territorio Desconocido’ has been published in Rosario García Mahamut and Beatriz Tomás Mallén (eds.), El Reglamento General de Protección de Datos: Un Enfoque Nacional y Comparado: Especial Referencia a la LO 3/2018 de Protección de Datos y Garantía de los Derechos Digitales, Editorial Tirant lo Blanch (pp. 161-180).
Episode 68 of The Human Show Podcast is now online.